Homepage of the 2nd Institute of Physics, RWTH Aachen - General Information
General information - physics lab course nano electronic for Master
- In the first two weeks of the lecture period in SS (time to be announced), a block seminar takes place which gives a short introduction to all the experiments (N1 to N7).
- The instructions for each experiment contain a brief physical overview, instructions about the work to be carried out and references to literature. Attention is drawn to the remarks on the preparation of the experiments in the instructions.
- Additional literature for the preparation is available in the library of the physics institutes.
- The lab course starts 23.03.2020 and will end with the lecture period of the summer term. Dates during term time in block A are typically on Wednesday. The scheduling of dates in block C is done by arrangement. (see further information).
- All experiments are done in groups of two to three students. There is a web form where you can enter your preferred partners and your preferences about the experiment blocks, which is available from 20.01.2020 until 31.01.2020. (click here).
- The experiment report for experiments N1 to N7 have to be handed in within two weeks after the experiment at the office of the 2nd physical institute where they will stamped with the current date (see contact). Where to hand in the Jülich experiments (J-experiments) has to be confirmed with the respective tutor of the experiment. Only in exceptional cases and prior agreement with the tutor and extension of the two week deadline is possible.
- The experiments start at 9:00h (for exceptions see the instructions)
- All participants complete seven days of experiments from block A, B, C and D.
- Block A:
The experiments in this block are N1 to N7. The experiments are carried out in the rooms of the lab course in Modulbau Physik or at the ILT.
- Block B:
Experiments will take place in Jülich. In the time period 23.03.2020 - 30.03.2020 (no experiments on weekends) you will attend a full day lecture on 23.03.2020 and conduct 2-4 experiments in the following five days.
The lecture will give you an introduction for the experiments and a general overview of research topics in nano electronic in the Forschungszentrum Jülich.
The talks on Monday (23.03.2020 9:00) take place in Building 02.4w E1. room Nr. 309b. A bus will pick you up on all days of the week (Monday till Friday) at 8:15am at the “Fernbus” (e.g. Flixbus) stop "Henricistraße, 52072 Aachen (at the corner to Kühlwetterstraße)", and will drive you to directly to Jülich (return 17:00h, Monday till Friday).
For entering the Forschungszentrum you need your ID card or a passport.
Directions to the Forschungszentrum can be found here: http://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/EN/Service/Howtoreachus/_node.html
The meeting point for the experiments on Tuesday - Friday is at 9:00h in Building 02.4w E1 room 309b. The room is on the first floor. The same bus service is available.
- Block C: (maximum of six students, i.e. two groups):
The experiment block "from material to a device" covers five days and gives you a practical introduction for important aspects of electronic ceramics for future memory technologies. Exemplary a ferromagnetic RAM memory cell will be assembled and characterised and compared with a DRAM. All technological steps for the preparation of electro ceramic thin films will be introduced and carried out. Afterwards, the for memory cells relevant properties are measured. The individual steps include:
The experiments take place at the Institut für Werkstoffe der Elektrotechnik II. Contact: Dr. Theodor Schneller
- Wet chemical deposition and technology of ceramic thin films part I: preparation of wet chemical plating solutions in a chemical lab.
- Wet chemical deposition and technology of ceramic thin films part II: deposition of the afore prepared solutions for the fabrication of ferroelectric capacities.
- Integration of the ferroelectric capacitors on a chip carrier and contacting using wedge-wedge-bonding.
- Electrical characterisation of the encapsulated electro ceramic thin films.
- Assembly and computer controlled accessing of a 2x2 memory array consisting of 1T/1C FeRAM cells.
- Block D: (maximum of seven students, i.e. two/three groups):
The experiment block "CMOS Lab course" covers seven days and takes place every second Wednesday during the lecture period. Objectives of the course are
During the course you will learn how to do cleanroom fabrication including
- Fabrication of a Si-chip with CMOS transistors and digital circuit building blocks (inverters, NAND-gate, half-adder)
- Characterization of the fabricated transistors allows observing the impact of fabrication on device and circuit performance
Device characterization includes:
- wafer cleaning, optical lithography, plasma-enhanced CVD, rapid thermal oxidation, dry etching (ICP-RIE), metalization (etching and lift-off)
The experiments take place at the Insitut für Halbleitertechnik (IHT). Contact: Dr. Birger Berghoff
- spectroscopic ellipsometry, scanning electron microscopy, electrical transport
- Cheating or fraud, e.g. tuning data or copying text (even partial) for reports, will result in the immediate disqualification of the lab course without advance warning.